The Cemala Foundation History
The Cemala Foundation was chartered in 1986 by Martha and Ceasar Cone II. A son of the co-founder of Cone Mills, Mr. Cone was president and chairman of the textile manufacturing corporation headquartered in Greensboro from 1956 to 1973. Mr. Cone died in November 1986. The foundation received its initial endowment from the estate of Mrs. Cone after her death in 1993 and began operations in 1994.
The Cones envisioned the Foundation as a way of continuing the family’s history of personal and business commitment to Greensboro. With an understanding that tomorrow’s issues and problems might differ from today’s, the Foundation charter places no limitation on the charitable projects to be undertaken but entrusts the board to respond to changing times and needs. A vision statement that articulates its goal of moving Guilford County forward guides the Foundation.